Search This Blog

Thursday, April 22, 2021

What A Feeling!

 Oh my giddy aunt!

Last night I finished writing the first draft of my very first novel.

I have just spent a few minutes reading that second sentence again. It's such a wonderful feeling.

Elation, excitement, motivation. They are just a few words I can use to describe the feelings I had. 

I loved writing this story, I really did, I love all of the characters in it, their personalities, their mannerisms, I lost myself in their stories every single time I opened my laptop, and I was excited to see where it took me. Believe me, I got some surprises along the way!

However, now the hard work starts...

I have hundreds of hours worth of editing to start. I'm really looking forward to getting stuck into it and fine tuning the book.

The thing I find hardest, and I did with the childrens book I wrote, is stopping and letting it go.

I'm a perfectionist when it comes to writing, and to bring a character and storyline to life in someone else's mind is my job. I want the reader to feel the emotion, to smell the cooking, to feel the heat of the sun on their skin even if they're in the depths of winter.

I kind of think of songs as I'm writing. For example, I start with The Carpenters and 'We've only just begun' and then Bon Jovi pipes in with 'We're halfway there...' then not long after that you've got Europe stepping up with 'Final countdown' and we finish up with Irene Cara and 'What a feeling'!

So, I embark on the next stage of my journey... lets see what songs come to mind through the editing stage!

Positive vibes sent your way from up here on cloud nine!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Most read post

Parenting Autism

It's autism acceptance week.  Again. And I'm still here, wishing that autism truly was accepted. I’m seeing workplaces trying, real...